Jane has been asking people for five things that President Obama can do right now using the power of the Executive Branch and thereby avoid obstruction by the party of “No”. Here’s my list:
1) Announce that all the Residential Mortgage Backed Securities in Maiden I and Maiden II as well as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, will be put into a modification program directly administered by the federal government and will include significant principle write-down to reflect current housing prices.
2) Launch a new G.I. Bill for returning veterans.
3) Tell the Department of Justice to stop "studying" foreclosure fraud and start grand jury proceedings.
4) Tell the Comptroller of the Currency to reverse the Bush-era position that states could not enforce their own banking laws.
5) Create a public works corps for recent college and grad school graduates who can’t find jobs. They could do everything from infrastructure construction to, well, staffing that new agency modifying mortgages. You could use AmeriCorps as the vehicle; it would not require new legislation.
6) Close Gitmo.
7) Stop looking forward and start looking back so you can begin prosecution of Henry Paulson, John Yoo, Dick Cheney etc., before the statutes of limitation have all run out.
8) Executive order permanently suspending enforcement of DADT. Announce as commander in chief that the Armed Services are immediately equality based, just like President Eisenhower did with integration.
Oops, that’s more than five.