You can thank Republican Veep prospect, Governor Bobby “the exorcist” Jindal for this development. Millions of tax dollars under his voucher program will go to “save” the low-wealth and middle class kids from Louisiana’s horrible public schools to private schools run by fundies teaching from textbooks rife with bible-based bullsh*ttery. (Mother Jones):
While the governor’s plan sounds great in the glittery parlance of the state’s PR machine, the program is rife with accountability problems that actually haven’t been solved by the new standards the Louisiana Department of Education adopted two weeks ago.
For one, of the 119 (mostly Christian) participating schools, Zack Kopplin, a gutsy college sophomore who’s taken to Change.org to stonewall the program, has identified at least 19that teach or champion creationist nonscience and will rake in nearly $4 million in public funding from the initial round of voucher designations.
Many of these schools, Kopplin notes, rely on Pensacola-based A Beka Book curriculum or Bob Jones University Press textbooks to teach their pupils Bible-based “facts,” such as the existence of Nessie the Loch Ness Monster and all sorts of pseudoscience that researcher Rachel Tabachnick and writer Thomas Vinciguerra have thankfully pored over so the rest of world doesn’t have to.
Bob Jones University. Now that’s a font of wisdom to pass on to the next generation. Some of the “facts” that Louisiana school kids will be exposed to (click over for detail and the fundie source citations, I’ve included a few choice ones here):
1. Dinosaurs and humans probably hung out.
2. Dragons were totally real.
3. “God used the Trail of Tears to bring many Indians to Christ.”
4. Africa needs religion.
5. Slave masters were nice guys. (The majority of slave holders treated their slaves well.”—United States History for Christian Schools, 2nd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 1991)
6. The KKK was A-OK. ([The] Klan in some areas of the country tried to be a means of reform, fighting the decline in morality and using the symbol of the cross. Klan targets were bootleggers, wife-beaters, and immoral movies. In some communities it achieved a certain respectability as it worked with politicians.”—United States History for Christian Schools, 3rd ed., Bob Jones University Press, 2001)
7. The Great Depression wasn’t as bad as the liberals made it sound
8. SCOTUS enslaved fetuses.
9. The Red Scare isn’t over yet.
10. Mark Twain and Emily Dickinson were a couple of hacks.
11. Abstract algebra is too dang complicated.
12. Gay people “have no more claims to special rights than child molesters or rapists.” (Teacher’s Resource Guide to Current Events for Christian Schools, 1998-1999, Bob Jones University Press, 1998)
13. “Global environmentalists have said and written enough to leave no doubt that their goal is to destroy the prosperous economies of the world’s richest nations.”
14. Globalization is a precursor to rapture.
Does this help or hurt Jindal’s chances of being picked. Personally, I think Mittens will go for a “boring white guy” veep bot, like Rob Portman.