Gays Glitter Newt!

By: Tuesday May 17, 2011 11:25 pm
google plus icon

Hilarious.

From the notes on Robert Erikson's YouTube account:

At a book signing in Minneapolis, recently declared the hippest and gayest city in America, I greeted 2012 GOP presidential contender and former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with a shower of rainbow glitter.

“Feel the Rainbow!” I shouted. Gingrich was conducting the book signing as part of The Minnesota Family Council & Institute Annual Dinner 2011 celebration. The MFC has been an instrumental mover of a marriage inequality amendment that would enshrine discrimination in Minnesota's state constitution.

John Aravois at Americablog has stills.

Photobucket

And it really does get creepy as the sign cards say. The bodyguard says:

“So goes you, goes the rotting of our country.

Have you ever seen us attend on of your events? Have we disturbed your events?

Never. Peace be with you.”

Actually, your kind is always coming into our spaces and making Hell for us. You never leave us alone. You'd still be coming into our bedrooms if the Supreme Court hadn't put a stop to it. And you'd reverse that in a heartbeat if you could.

Newt Gingrich was scheduled to give a speech at an event sponsored by the Minnesota Family Council later in the evening. MFC is the group responsible for pushing the Minnesota Gay Marriage Ban Amendment which seems poised to go before voters in 2012:

The Minnesota Family Council threatened Republicans that any effort to stall the bill will be redefined as a vote against the bill, while the National Organization for Marriage pleaded that if the bill doesn’t go forward it will encourage “gay marriage activists.”

Minnesota already has a law forbidding gay marriage, but just in case the State Supreme Court someday decides gays SHOULD be treated equally, they thought they'd add a little *asterisk onto the Constitution, just so it's clear to the Justices who shouldn't be treated equally.

This will be lovely, the gays of Minnesota will be treated to another election cycle of constant fear mongering. The lovely thing for Republicans is our resources will be split between supporting Democrats and fighting for our own Civil Rights. Well played, Talibangelicals.

I think Gingrich deserved it just for this alone:

“I think there is a gay and secular fascism in this country that wants to impose its will on the rest of us, is prepared to use violence, to use harassment. I think it is prepared to use the government if it can get control of it. I think that it is a very dangerous threat to anybody who believes in traditional religion.”

Screw him. Painting LGBT Americans as violent and fascist. From where I sit, the daily headlines are all about how LGBT Americans are on the receiving end of violence.

I have yet to hear about a single one of these supposed violent hetero-bashings that Newt is alleging our community participates in.

What's most offensive is Gingrich is alleged to be “brilliant” not an uncommon assessment. I can't say I share that, if he really believes the words he said, he's really a fucking dumbass.

LGBT Americans have done nothing many, many other Americans have done to effect change. A “brilliant” man knows what violence and fascism really are, and the LGBT rights movement has engaged in neither. He is either stupid, or a soulless monster that is happy to paint gays as “violent” and “fascist” for votes, attention and money and is completely unremorseful about the effect his words have.

Screw him. He deserves to be humiliated and pwned. He deserves to double down on the security so this doesn't happen again. And other demagogues need to see what happens when they lie and slander the gays.

We're everywhere and we always will be, and that's their worst nightmare.

16 Responses to “Gays Glitter Newt!”

May 17th, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Don’t forget that he’s talking about his own sisterCandace Gingrich-Jones when he talks about gays.  So his quote really should read

I think my own sister Candace is a gay and secular fascist who wants to impose her will on the rest of us, is prepared to use violence, to use harassment. I think my own sister Candace is prepared to use the government if she can get control of it. I think that my own sister Candace is a very dangerous threat to anybody who believes in traditional religion.

GOP = Family values.

May 17th, 2011 at 11:50 pm

But these are bully tactics, right?How can that possibly be good?

May 17th, 2011 at 11:57 pm
In response to jslarve @ 2

What tactic do you think would work To persaude a man who would slander his own sister?

May 17th, 2011 at 11:58 pm
In response to Laurel Ramseyer @ 1

That’s hilarious. And sad.

May 18th, 2011 at 12:15 am

I don’tknow..It just didn’t speak to me as more than cheap theatrics.. I totally agree with the intent, just not sure it worked out the way it was intended.. Or maybe I am just an old jaded queen

May 18th, 2011 at 12:31 am
In response to Daigan @ 5

I guess I just appreciate the visceral laughand don’t consider “the message” that important if there is one at all. It appears only an act of God will stop the amendment from going through.
Newt will fail to get the nom, everyone knows it. He’s just a snake oil salesman, hawking homophobia for money and attention, and he deserves to be treated with derision.

May 18th, 2011 at 7:41 am

Perfect projectionIf you ever wonder what a right wing person is doing, take a look at what they accuse their opponents of doing. Projection seem to be an integral part of  right wing mindset.

Gingrich and his peeps want to impose their will on LTBG people. They harass us constantly in our everyday lives. They enable and encourage violence with their vile anti-gay rhetoric and their fights against anti-bullying legislation that would protect LTBG students. And in MN, as in many other places, they are in control of the government and they are using it to impose their will against us.
And they are a very dangerous threat to anybody who believes in a secular nation.

May 18th, 2011 at 9:06 am

A pie in his face would have been betterbut I guess Glitter is easier to carry in a messenger bag. Yes new things the religious rights fuzz will now check for in conventions that people will be turned away if having: Weapons of any kind, objects that can be thrown at politicians, alcohol, and now… Glitter.
Either way Glitter Guy was brave, and I am proud that he has the balls to do what he did. You go Glitter Guy!

May 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am

Yes, yes, yes and yesto every anti-Gingrich sentiment expressed here.
But the man holds no elective office, runs no governmental department. If you want to do an “action,” do something that actually calls attention to something that’s fixable by the person you’re “glittering.” And choose a setting where you won’t involve your opponent’s spouse. And be clear what, exactly, you’re protesting against.
Sounds like someone’s been moved to action by GetEqual’s implied threat to give the Anita Bryant treatment to Maggie Gallagher. Is this a prelude to lotsa gays causing scenes by throwing stuff in the faces of people they don’t like? I’m underwhelmed at our maturity.

May 18th, 2011 at 11:48 am
In response to Clarknt67 @ 3

Don’t persuade himPersuade millions of more “teachable” Americans.  We just handed him ammunition, instead of disarming him publicly, with this little stunt.
Maybe 20 years ago…this would have been cute.  Now it is foolish…

May 18th, 2011 at 11:51 am
In response to Stephanie @ 7

Exactly rightSo let’s not feed the Newts.

May 18th, 2011 at 11:59 am
In response to jslarve @ 2

Bully tactics?No, these are COMEDY tactics.  Buy a clue.

May 18th, 2011 at 12:02 pm
In response to Om Kalthoum @ 9

Sorta like“I’ll bet you a thousand dollars!”
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

May 18th, 2011 at 12:18 pm
In response to QScribe @ 12

We shouldn’t stoop to their level!We have to show them love and kindess! We have show decency they refuse to give us! We must be civil and love them as they hate us. By following Jesus Chris methods of turning the other cheek and praying for those who perscute us, we solve all our problems. That's all we have to do! We embrace them like our loved ones. Only with love can we prevail! If challenge them, we become the very thing we decry and no different than they are! So please folks, take into consideration the harm you might bring to us by asserting and standing up for yourself and calling out these hatemongers. We don't want that!                                                                       I'm only kidding :)

May 18th, 2011 at 4:13 pm
In response to Clarknt67 @ 6

Act of god … … is scheduled for 5/21 ;-)

May 18th, 2011 at 5:31 pm
In response to Clarknt67 @ 6

“a snake oil salesman, hawking homophobia for money and attention”You just described 90% of the elected officials in the country.

Sorry but the comments are closed on this post
Pam’s Facebook Notes and News
myFDL

Want to write a diary?

Head on over to myFDL, Firedoglake's reader diary site and community!

» Click here to visit myFDL.

Become a Member