Update: Fixed the typo in the subject headline for this piece…D’oh!
Well, color me surprised — and in the good way! Rachel Maddow picked up on two trans specific stories for her show last night. I was expecting either her or Keith Oberman to pick up on the Amanda Simpson story, but I didn’t expect her to pick up on the second story about the USAJobs website story (First video is 2:06 minutes long; second video is 0:49 minutes long).
Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe this is the first time Rachel Maddow mentioned term transgender on her television show by itself (when it wasn’t coupled with LGB terminology in the phrase “Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender”) — and she did it twice; and she used the community appropriate terms “trans” and “gender identity.”
So, as much as this is a story about Amanda Simpson and the USAJobs website update, it’s also a story about how real stories of note regarding trans people and issues were reported on a progressive television politics news and talk show — and Air America — with very positive spin.
Call me crazy, but I see that as real progress — Progressive politics just at a tipping point of publicly embracing transgender people and issues. It’s an opening that trans people and community should likely be capitalizing on.
* Air America: David Letterman Promotes Transgender Hate Against Obama Appointee Amanda Simpson
* Family Research Council exploiting Amanda Simpson’s appointment to stop ENDA
* WTF, David Letterman?
* U.S. Government Adds Gender Identity Protections To USAJobs Website
* Amanda Simpson Appointed Senior Technical Advisor For The U.S. Bureau Of Industry And Security
* And Now, For The First Of The Expected “Bad” Coverage On Amanda Simpson’s Appointment To BIS
* Living With The Reality Trans People Are Hated/Are Considered Freaks, Mentally Ill, Gay, & Jokes
* Was That Peter LaBarbera Or Ronald Gold Posting That Antitrans Sentiment On Bilerico?