Update: Added Further reading and Related reference links, as well as a reference Further listening audio file.
From Church Report:
Lisa Miller, who was ordered by a court in Vermont to turn over her child to her former partner, has missed the 1pm EST deadline. A Vermont judge had ordered Lisa Miller to turn over daughter Isabella to Janet Jenkins at 1 p.m. Friday at the Falls Church, Va., home of Jenkins’ parents.
This case has drawn worldwide attention as Miller and Janet Jenkins were lesbian partners. After a civil union ceremony in 2000, Miller was artificially inseminated and gave birth to a daughter. In 2003, the couple separated and Miller (the birth mother) renounced her homosexuality and became an evangelical Christian…
The Washington Post added the following in their article Va. woman fails to give up child to ex-partner:
…Miller did not show up with the girl, said Sarah Star, Jenkins’ Vermont-based attorney. Jenkins has notified Fairfax County, Va., police that Isabella is missing, Star said.
“She’s very disappointed, obviously,” Star said. “She’s very concerned about Isabella and asks that if anybody sees Isabella, that they please contact the authorities.” …
…[Vermont Family Court Judge William]Cohen awarded custody to Jenkins on Nov. 20 after finding Miller in contempt of court for denying Jenkins access to the girl. The judge said the only way to ensure equal access to the child was to switch custody.
But Cohen also noted that it appeared Miller had stopped speaking to her attorneys and “disappeared” with the child…
So, it was suspected earlier this week that Lisa Miller, who in the last month “disappeared” and stopped talking to her lawyers, was not going turn over custody of the former couple’s child in accordance with a court order. Today is the day the custody hand-over was supposed to formally occur. Lisa Miller, the ex-lesbian partner in the dissolved civil union, is now a potential felon because she’s now interfering with the legal custody of a child. From CBS News yesterday:
If Miller does not turn over Isabella, the most likely scenario is that she would be held in contempt of court and a warrant would be issued for her arrest, said Cheryl Hanna, a professor of constitutional law at Vermont Law School.
* From Concerned Women For America‘s U.S. Supreme Court Refuses to Hear Lisa Miller Case (October 6, 2008 – call this “opposition listening”):
* Washington Post: About Isabella (February 4, 2007)
* Newsweek: Mrs. Kramer Vs. Mrs. Kramer; It’s an old story-parents split and fight for custody. But when both are women, and one says she is no longer gay, it gets complicated.
* Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD): Miller-Jenkins v. Miller-Jenkins (“Since 2004, GLAD has been representing Vermont resident Janet Jenkins for all appellate matters in an ongoing dispute with her former civil union spouse, Lisa Miller, over the shared parenting of their daughter, Isabella.”)
* Lifesite: Exclusive Interview with Lisa Miller, Ex-Lesbian Fighting for Custody of Own Child against “Civil Union” Partner (Opposition reading)
* Facebook: Only One Mommy: The Story of Lisa and Isabella Miller (Opposition Facebook group — jointly run in the past by the Liberty Counsel and Lisa Miller)